Thursday, July 2, 2026

audio from Grandpa Rev Gareth Kok funeral ceremony at Bethany CRC (April 2002)

sorry, due to a technical error, there is a blank gap in the middle of the audio 
from 23:48 to 29:30, just fast foward past it. if you're wondering what you missed, read the transcript below





transcript (not perfect)

 Good morning. This is the toughest, toughest one I've done. But I agreed to do it because nobody else could do it, right. We say farewell today. Reverend Kok, The one of God's special people. Reverend Kok, Dad, Grandpa, Great grandpa. A man of unwavering Christian faith. Who love to preach. Who all his life? So there's strength weighing. Every night. Kneeled at 

his bed to pray. A simple man. Of what you see is what you get. Person whose love of God topped all his uncomplicated list of interests. High on that list was nature. He loved special revelation. The mountains, the rivers, the oceans, farms, crops, fruits, vegetables, spiders. He loved the sky, especially at night. The stars, the planets, the moon; he seemed to know all about everything. He loved to hike. I think it was about the third person in history to climb Yosemite's Half Dome. 

He loved to walk because zeal had continued nearly to his dying day when, with the help of a walker, he circled the grounds of Artesia 

Christian Home. An early memory of mine is his telling how as a young pastor in rural Minnesota he would walk on some of his home visits, 

which were mostly the farms, and he would carry his faithful shotgun with him and one day with one keen shot bagged 3 rooster pheasants sitting on a stump. I made him my hero early on.Twin Oaks Dairy Farm, close to Friesland, Vriesland, and Randolph and 

Wapan, Wisconsin. The name of the farm where he was born, which he gave that farm its name, remained close to his heart. He left there at age 15. When older teachers and encouragers urged him to go on to school, he had graduated from 8th grade, the first to do so in that whole 

vicinity. And so to the big city he went, alone at age 15 on the train to finish high school at Calvin Preparatory School. Twin Oaks Farm remained close to his heart because he returned there often to help with the harvest, and to his younger brother chagrin, he always outworked them. But his early education led him permanently farther and farther from home and deeper and deeper into the ministry. But he was a reluctant candidate for ministry. He took the courses. But he objected. He resisted. 

He felt unqualified. He felt unworthy of this strategic responsibility. Nevertheless, he kept taking seminary courses and was assigned to preach. He was disgusted with his own preaching as he read his sermons, boring even himself, he said. Until one night in Cutlerville, Michigan, he he breathed the prayer to God, got up to preach the sermon. He dumped his manuscript under the pulpit and he wrung it. And that was the beginning he felt. Then he was truly called. That confirmed his. Well. And so an adventurous, satisfying God glorifying life began. And that career included a call to Southern California shortly after the Minnesota stand, where he felt called to encourage the Christian School movement. Within 10 years, 

not only in elementary school but the high school, now Valley Christian, was established and growing. From here to Holland MI, Edgerton, MN, Hanford, CA building 2 new churches in the process and the preaching 

hundreds of well studied sermons. So here is why we are here. But we're here to thank God for His life. Grace to you and peace from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ. And we worship God and remember his servant 

Gareth Kok in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Christ is risen. He is risen indeed. Jesus said I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me, though he died, yet shall he live, and whoever believes in me shall never die, Saint Paul said. I am sure that 

neither death nor life, things present or things to come, neither height nor depth nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God. Let us pray. Thank you, Lord, that we may be here, embraced securely in your promises, Your presence, and Your love, that we 

may celebrate this life while we grieve the ending of it, the physical ending of it. That we may rely on your your promises for our ongoing lives. And we can give thanks for all that you were to this man who so humbly, so diligently, and so earnestly served you. We pray for your blessing on our time together and each person here in her or his own way, as we ponder life itself. The loved ones that we think of and include in our own. Priceless and mortality. Bless her, bless us each. With growing depth and growing 

riches and understanding your love for us, in Jesus name we pray, Amen. 


song: His eye is on the Sparrow and I know he watches. Ohh, I know he watches and I know he watches. Me. Thank you, Kendra. Kendra Bosher, granddaughter. Jesus said do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me. My father's house are many rooms, but we're not. So I would have told you I'm going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back. Take 

you to be with me, but you also may be where I am. Saint Paul said these words which so absolutely apply to dad. I fought the good fight. I finished the race. I've kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness. We have a couple more scriptures. They're going to be read by a couple young people. Megan and Jonah, Jonah Coke and Megan Anderson. The Lord is my light and my salvation. Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, Of whom shall I be afraid? One thing I asked of the Lord, This is what I seek, that I may dwell in the House of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple. I am still confident of this. I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord. He's drawing and take heart and wait for the Lord. The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me besides still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for His namesake, even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death. I will fear no evil, for you are with me. Your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil. My cup song overflows. Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the House of the Lord. Together. Thank you. Very well done. cs. Another very appropriate scripture in this time as we think of that in his 98 1/2 years. Of his body kind of letting him down. 

These words from Saint Paul we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we may waste away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day, for our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes haddrd. not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings like eagles. They shall run and not be weary. They shall walk and not faint. Do not fear, I am with you, do not be dismayed, I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. And may the God of. Will you and all of us with joy and peace as we trust in Him, so that we may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Invite you now to turn to the hymn #35 in the book, The Hymns of the Family of God #35 and we're singing all the stanzas. And I invite you to stand, if you can, for this service, for this 

song.  ..... singing 

That hymn was personally. Selected by dad before. In the last during the sometime. I'd like to invite the few of the family members would like to are willing and able to share a few tributes and memories of their father and grandfather to Step up and maybe Gareth Wayne. Maybe you wanna use the hand mic there or you gonna use it OK. My name is Gareth Wayne, and that's where the similarities stopped. I'm about as uncomfortable behind this  as my father was comfortable, and I'm not going to throw my notes away. I don't have that on a face like my dad did. I wrote him a poem about 10 years ago. And I'd like to share that with you if I can. It's entitled. Thanks, Dad. Thanks Dad for memories I've got. Way back when I was a taught the old pump swing in our backyard. I'd go real high when I pumped hard.

Thanks dad for a..., brownie and latitude. They were my friends. Their love was true. My dogs were all my special pals. Linus and Brillo were great gals. Thanks for that. And watch and Uncle Dan. I've never met such an exciting man. The three of them conquered every fall. I love those stories. I've long ago. I retold those to Audra and Brian of Uncle Dan hunting the bear, the lion. Thanks Dad for teaching me to fish. Many are perched it fill my dish. Early morning trips to the pier I always will hold very dear and drifting down the Kalamazoo we catch a walleye or two. I'll never forget that. One big strike when your poll was caught by a Pike. Later on, you were back on track. We caught that Pike and got your call back. Thanks dad for sharing your breakfast skills for pancakes, hot cereal and general meals. You only had one breakfast fault, cooking oatmeal without the salt. 

Thanks Dad. Cooking, camping trips we took, our experiences could fill a book. kok. We saw the bear, the moose, the deer, and with you close, we had No Fear. Thanks, Dad, for that big old .... I still recall that canvassing. Around the center pole we slept in. In our bags. Hot rocks we kept to keep our feet from turning blue. We've kept them on those rocks like glue. Used to have retention skills you've taught details to do and some we not. Don't touch the canvas in the rain or drips will form and be a pain. Thanks Dad for my love of mountains high. The ocean surf is the sunset sky from I love to walk and hike To experience God's world is what I like. Thanks God for teaching me of God. Thanks Dad for teaching me of God to treasure His trees, His sees, his Son, for teaching me what's right, what's wrong, to praise him both in Word and song. Thanks God. Thanks Dad for teaching me to pray and helping me to learn what to say. Lord bless this food and drink I ask and help me where. 

While I do my task, and now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. Thanks Dad, for values that you live to care for others and to give, to live for Jesus every day to honor him by what you say. Thanks Dad for all you've done. Raising 10 kids must have been fun. I suppose at times we were a pain, but your love for us did never wane. Raising kitten kids was quite a task. You gave us more than we could ask. I love you Dad, with all my heart. It sends me somewhere apart. I wrote this poem so I could say thanks, Dad to you on Father's Day. And thank you, God, for my dad thank you. Thank you, Gary. Now son-in-law Barry. The in- laws, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law. Today those words conjure up negative feelings. Bad movies and a punchline to a joke. Let me share with you with those words. Mean to me is January 2, 1972, three days before OK and I would get married. We were sitting in the Grand Rapids airport. It was cold, dreary, snowy with a bone chilling wind. In other words, a typical winter day in Michigan. i was about to meet my future in laws for the first time. I heard all those stories about Reverend Gareth Kok. He was a loving husband and father, carrying pastor, great preacher, accomplished hiker, skilled photographer and a pillar in this community. I was a little nervous to say the least. I wasn't sure what I was going to say when I met him, but I knew he would have something very profound. Say to me, I'll never forget those first words. He got off the plane from California, walked across the icy tarmac, entered the terminal and said, Why in the world are you getting married in Michigan in January? Three days later, he forgot my name while doing the wedding ceremony. I must admit I was not yet too impressed with this Reverend Gareth Kok. But it did not take long before I saw this man, all the things so many others have seen in him. I saw a man of prayer who trusted God and everything he did. I saw a man in love with his wife, Ada. I saw his love for his children. He did not see them as Kok children or Timmer children. They were his children as those children married again. He did not see us as son-in-law or daughter-in-law, only another son and daughter. I saw generosity generously offered and use of their Bellflower house in summer of 72 while they were gone. At the time we had about $200 to an and without that help we would not have been in California today. We do not have jobs, you know allowed us time to stay there while we found jobs and got settled. When we use the card that was always there for a loan, always on interest rate, much lower than any bank could offer. He loved our children, always asked what they were doing. Where can I travel? He loved to take care of our animals. In fact, Dad's love for dogs with such that I think the acting more excited to see Chelsea Whitney did see us. Even recently. We took our dog Whitney over to see Dad near Artesia home and he would immediately brighten and break into a grand regardless of kind of day he was having. In our 30 years of marriage, I can't recall one negative word from Dad or Mom. About decisions he and I have made even though in. kok kok kok Wwere kok kok kok kok. kok States. kok Probably deserved. The only comment Dad ever made to us that made Kok. that could be construed as Reverend kok negative ? was about 20 years ago when we told him we were switching from a Christian Reformed Church to a Reformed Church. He said it felt as if he had worked his entire life making Chevrolets and we were buying a Ford. I think you said it partly in jest, but certainly showed his loyalty and love for the Christian Church. So I can't relate to the bad jokes and negative feelings about in laws. I will simply have been blessed to have had two dads and two moms. So on behalf of the in-laws, Ruth, Linda, Wayne, Shirley, Barb, Jay, Ann and myself, I would like to thank the Cooking Chamber children for choosing us to be your spouses and be a part of your wonderful family. Thanks, Barry. ... of the Cerritos Valley Christian School. I'd like to thank the family for this privilege of being able to be up here on behalf of the Valley Christian Schools. But let me first comment. Seeing the whole family, all the children, reminds me of the 1950s. When they moved to Edgerton, MN I was a student in 3rd grade and Doug joined me in 3rd and what quite an impact on the community of 1000 people that have the family moved to Edgerton and Reverend Kok soon became a tremendous blessing too at Edgerton first. But on behalf of Valley Christian schools, the Board and the staff and over 4000 alumni, just like to extend our sympathy and support to the family. I also want to express our deepest appreciation for Reverend Kok did to get the school started. I can hardly believe that 67 years ago already. It just took tremendous vision. Leadership and commitment to covenant Christian education. And I remember him, too, as a sterling preacher with Christian education sermons that I'd like to hear now, really committed to the Word and strongly committed to Christian education. What he did back in 1935 is still a blessing to us today. Just a couple of weeks ago at a school society meeting, I shared some of the comments Reverend Kok made at the dedication of the new School in 1935. Emailed those comments to my brother in Springfield, MO. I think he emailed them to Gary. And then it made its way around to the family. So most of the family have seen this. Reverend Kok encouraged and challenged the parents with two scripture passages. Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. And whether you eat, drink, or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God. And he raised the realistic forecast. We're still fighting. It won't be easy to continue. It will take us much effort and it will cost us loads of money. But you must keep going. As the Lord encouraged, the Israelites tell the people to move forward, so we too must steadfastly move forward. Those comments are still appropriate and encouraging to us today. We hope that we can steadfastly move forward with the same vision and wisdom that Reverend Kok had in 1935. I also want to just take this opportunity to express sympathy and appreciation on behalf of Bellflower first. I'm a member there and I see many members of Bellflower first here. I know how much they loved him, appreciated him and respected him. He was there from 1935 to 1946 during those war... difficult years. A couple of days ago, my mother was sharing with me the incident that he's in the program about the blackout. And she was sitting in church and remembered a long prayer, longer than the long prayers that they used to have, and many songs song from memory. And when she said that, I remember sitting behind Reverend Kok at a number of funerals right in this church where he would sing these songs from hearts when they played the music ahead of time, he would sing all these songs. He knew them by heart. So on behalf of the Church, we certainly want to express our sympathy and appreciation for all that he did. My mom said to me a couple minutes ago, Reverend Kok has done a world of good hasn't he Jim. I think we can all agree he has done a world of good. Finished by repeating what Reverend Kok said last spring when the first Reverend Miss Garrett caught Calvin College scholarship was presented to Melanie frustrated. What an experience to be there for that, he said with a great deal of enthusiasm. Praise God, from whom all blessings fall. Thank you. Thank you Jim- wonderful words. Bob Coke would like to speak. Some of us are Koks and some of us are Cokes. I'm a coke. Hey, Grandpa. Older grandma. Just that. Anyway, I'm I'm Bob Coke I'm the oldest grandson. I live in Holland, MI and I thought I would like to share some of the things I've encountered in the last few years since I've become a banker working in Michigan. I work in Holland, I worked in Grand Rapids and a little town called Hudsonville, all in Michigan. And all these stories I've been hearing running across now, Kok is not a real common name here in the United States. And I have customers walk into the bank and they would they would go, ohh Cook. Are you related to Reverend Kok? Yes, it's my grandfather and he he married me 50 years ago in Hills, MN. Or, or he would say something like. baptized my daughter in Edgerton. Something like that. I worked with a girl didn't really know her that well but I worked with her and she we got to talking and she asked me about my last name and she was baptized in Edgerton, MN by grandpa. And all these people I've run across over the years have been affected by grandma. 1 customer walks into the bank. He was rather elderly and he starts talking about caulking Reverend talking. He says after World War 2, I came home from the Pacific and he was tied up in in California. He couldn't go all the way home yet because of something. I don't understand all the ramifications. My dad probably could explain it, but he was stuck in California for a few months and he didn't know what to do. He went through a young people's convention in Hanford, all places small world. And the minister who was there desk or I'm not sure what his job was, you know, job was he was he was Reverend Kok and he come came back into the bank about a week later with this really large black and white group photo. He's very proud of himself. He goes ... right here. That's me right over here. There's your grandfather, and I'm going to need a copy of this. Couple years ago at my church in Holland we were celebrating one of our elderly couples 50th wedding anniversary and our church made a pretty big to do about it. In our minister announced kind of read the the the wedding list and said the officiating minister was Reverend Kok and I really at Maple Ave. in Holland there. I'm just shocked and amazed at how many people I've run across in my professional career that grandpa has touched. And and then these people are so proud of the fact that they knew Grandpa and Grandpa did something for them, and it made me all that much more proud of my grandfather. And then to make things even more interesting for me, I was very pleased and happy that Grandpa was able to perform my wedding 25 years ago. And I was lucky enough to also have Grandpa to baptize my youngest son, James, no relation to this guy. So he's been able to touch my life as well as all these other wonderful people. And the last thing I want to share that was probably the 

most dramatic for me was the day after my my youngest son died, so 14-15 years 

ago now, and the first phone call I got was from Grandpa. Not really in the mood 

to talk to anybody that day but I heard grandpa was on the phone and I grabbed 

that phone. I took that call so fast and he comforted me so much that I to this 

day can't remember all the words he said because I was a little preoccupied. 

But I am so grateful for my grandfather and everything he did for me. 

Especially working for my son when Joshua passed away. So thank you, thank you, 

thank you, Rob. He was there. Garreth is honored name in the family. Another 

Gareth Kok and like the other Gareth, it was quite a burden being named after a 

man of such stately dignity and and love of God. We always felt that we I always 

thought I did not. But I just today is a happy day for me. I'm gonna I'm gonna 

wing it like the original girl. I have long I won't. I have wonderful memories 

of my grandfather. My grandfather played a big part in my life. And my father 

went to war. My grandfather became our grand became like our father. And the 

summers. In those years. For good years, when our house burned down, we moved in 

with him, and I recall that as a wonderful summer . He gave me my first drink of 

buttermilk. I I remember that. And he was always a very loving man. And there 

was. He was failing and I know there was a time in my life where I know he 

prayed for me daily and I simply love him for that. And the day he died and I said my prayers that night, I got the feeling all through my entire body that he was there, He was happy and I smiled. He was a great man. Yes, he prayed, prayed for you. He and Mother prayed for you like no one else. OK. Hope the rest of you are still with us. This isn't just a family thing, but I want to read something that Karen wrote. Karen. Wrote about the stint in Edgerton, MN, another little little town part of dad's life and these are some of Karen's memories. Rumor has it that was a miracle worker Jesus turned 2 loaves and fish into enough to feed the multitudes of dead. With the help of Congress of the congregation turned his salary. Of which nearly 2/3 went paying for school, Christian School, tuition into so much food for our family. We never went hungry. That was his miracle. We in fact thought he did the lottery. When we moved to Edgerton, the freezer uncovered were stacked full of food time and again in our lives and great gifts of fruit were given to our family in Hanford. We were truly. Edgerton got pretty hot in the summer, but Dad had a solution for that. Also, get up early. When it's cool, you do your work before you play. So each picked our role. Or stewed beans or peas or Lima beans. And then as we were cleaning them, our friends came over and helped us. Then after lunch, Dad would pile all of us into the station wagon and drive to Pipestone, where we went into the park. Well, we took swimming lessons and played in the pool or tennis court. He would sit in the shade and study and write his sermons or lessons. He made summer work for us. He was very progressive and loved nature. Although most movies were generally frowned on as a form of entertainment. And Edgerton's dad had his own movie screen and projector. And he would rent Moody Bible Institute. Science. ... and he would set it up in the basement and we invited our friends to come and learn about the greatness of God through nature. dad also took us younger kids camping every summer on vacation. 

Usually it was in combination with the young people's society. We would go a week or two before and travel to many national parks and see the wonders of nature. Fun hikes, rivers, the bear in our campground, and many other wild 

animals. We learned so much and this made a great difference in our lives. I love campingto this day. Dad knew so much about nature. He knew all the animals, what plants were growing in different parts of the country, that plants I'd never seen before, and what this rock or mountain goat was made of and the name of the mountain. And he'd never get lost. You have an uncanny sense to where he was going and how long it would take. He and mom got Primo time 

together after our camp was set up and we children all went swimming. Mom and dad would make supper together and just rest. Dad also helped with meals while camping. He always helped mother with the dishes when we went off to school. He was affectionate, supportive with mom and whatever work ever worked there was 

to be done . dad had special way with animals he loved cats and dogs. Glad he was his dog. We all left for college. He grieved for lady when he died. Toby Cat spent many an hour with dead in his studies. Stampy was also there as here she would follow him just like Lady. She would sit on his shoulder while he shaved in the morning. True and Will lay around his neck with two legs on either side while he was reading in his study. In Hanford, dad was a great blessing in my life. But most of all, I'm thankful to him for making my mom happy and for bringing our families together. It was from Karen. And. Lastly but not least, Woody .. unless I've overlooked somebody ever. Faith do you want to speak? Woody is the senior member of the family? I was the prototype. It didn't work on me. Then they they changed the plans for the rest of them. You know, there was one 

title that Jim omitted in his opening comments, and that's what a lot of you new 

dad asked, and that was the one word Domine. Because when we were at First 

Church, so many people called Dad domine. You know, he entered into a lot of people's lives by different routes. I know he baptized many of you. He married many of you. He buried your parents probably and he he shared space with you during these occasions. I would just like to see just from my side. How many here did he baptize? Would you raise your hands, please? About four or five. How many did he marry? we got many more now. OK. How many did he share sorrow with at a time of loss of up in the family member? OK, so it's really kind of nice to know that he did share things with you and he helped you during your times of 

happiness and sorrow both. I just right now, nice sole purpose really and being up here is to thank you. The people that are in the audience for being here today and sharing this time with us. So from the Koks and the Timmers, we express our appreciation for to you for honoring my dad by being here. I think Jim says 90% of us, something is just showing up. And that is great and we appreciate that deeply. And that is all I have. Thank you, Sherwood, better known as Woody. You can't come to church without having a sermon. So now it's my turn. As we reflect on the life and death of Dad Kok. We're quickly and naturally reminded of of Easter just a couple weeks ago. On that day really is 

when he caught the bug that ended his life. But Easter is. Just passed, but it never passed. And Easter is the event that tells us that death does not have the last word. Death does not win. Death must not win a ...lifetime of preaching about the living Christ. Segues naturally now into thinking of this farm boy preacher as still living. Still living today. He and Mom Kok, Gareth and Ada were resurrection people. Resurrection people believe they are called into life here, called to help with God's work here. They're called to make. Heaven on earth as it is in heaven, which means keeping God at the center of life. And God is a very present help in trouble. And Gareth and Ada Kok dad and mom and their personal lives witnessed. Resurrection to the rest of us. Both were knocked down by the untimely deaths of young spouses. each with a handful of wonderfully rambunctious children. Mostly the girls were the rambunctious ones. But they both got up, found each other, dusted themselves off and came back to life and lived full, happy, radiant lives. That's what Easter people do. Death does not win. And every big and small death in life Is a launching pad for something that God's people must Salvage and change and turn into 

something good, something for growth, something for new life. You notice in the little folder the last message got Gareth wrote was was "I feel I am going soon." He wrote this in his very shaky hand about 10 days before he died. I 

feel I am going soon. If the Lord wills, I'm ready to go. Thy will be done. I love all of you. Trust all of you love Jesus and I said to him. Yeah, dad we all love Jesus? Who couldn't love Jesus? And he agreed. The great mystery of life is how anybody could not love Jesus, the gracious lover of all the strong gracious. Wise Jesus, who died. For us and Rose again, how could anyone not love him? One of our last chats was on that subject. As Easter people ourselves, may we bid farewell now. Adios. I love that word to God. With sadness, but with determination. To be easter people to build something good and strong and lasting and something better. To bring new life out of this death, which was sad, even though 98 years, we always want more and so as Easter 

people we are obliged to emerge as more, not less, even when something is taken away and someone is taken away. Richer, not poorer, more alive, not less. Otherwise, death wins, and that is contrary to the Spirit of Jesus who defeated the literal physical death. We are called to be overcomers. To take from every loss. And make New Hope. Enlarge glove fresh gratitude. Refocus our faith, Deepen our insights. Regenerate forgiveness. And even find our wounds healed. Then life wins. And that's the Spirit of Jesus. Life, death loses. That is God's will. And that's the second level of this great Easter phenomenon that we make all our deaths. Grift for something better and defeat death. That's the 

joy of the world. And so we go from this place. Thankful. Sad, but determined to build from this loss. Good stuff in our own souls, in our own hearts, in our own lives, and May God help us. To do that. Kendra will sing again. We're gonna ask you, I'm going to do the first 4 verses and then we're going to come back through on the Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound. And we would like all of you 

to sing with me and Linda. OK. Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that. Please don't like me. Ohh wow. Ohh. As long line. Ohh, I see. Was that my heart to fear and grace my fears? Is that great? The umm. Before. The dangerous toils and stairs. Ready. 123. You say thus far and grace will lead me home. When we send. Right. Ohh ohh. 3233. Ohh Amazing Grace, how do we ourselves that they don't rattle like me? And now? Where's my? I see. Thank you, Kendra and Linda. Are you doing the prayer please? As we come to the end of this time of memory and 

reflection and praise. To you, oh Lord. We give thanks for Gareth's life. Gareth, dad. Grandpa, Reverend, great grandpa, we thank you for what he was. And for what he gave to others, how he was faithful to his call. How he responded to your urging and nudging, feeling unqualified, feeling afraid, feeling inadequate. And you equipped him. You blessed him, you enabled him, you used him so well. That, too, is part of the resurrection story. Giving life where he 

thought there was death. Giving vitality when he thought he had nothing. Bless each of us as we go from this place. May your spirit, the Spirit of the living Christ dwell in each of us, and may we know it and respond to it and draw from it as we meet, overcome the obstacles and the challenges of life. May we be people of confidence and courage. May we have that sense of adventure that Dad gave to us since he broke new ground. went to strange places an unusual places. 

And you used him as he was a simple, humble, loving farm boy. Bless us, bless each person here. You know the young and the old, the strength that each of us have, May we use it till our dying day to bless others. To be caring and kind and helpful to those around us. we Thank you for his parents and all of those, the people to whom he ministered, who encouraged and gave him so much to keep him going. May we see that too, as your spirit working through each human being 

to keep the good things of life thriving and going and blessing. so we leave this place? Blessed, helped , reminded and your spirit goes with us in Jesus name, Amen. Invite you to sing again #400 have thine own way, Lord. Verses 1 and 4. You may remain seated. I'd like to Invite you to the reception following this service. Please stay, lots of food. right next door. Go out any door, but go out over there and the family will have name tags on. Anybody with the name tag will be family. And. I'm going to say a few more words and then I have a blessing. 

And then after the conclusion of the service, the men on the front where the pallbearers are going to go up to the narthex and the coffin will be brought back down here out the door to the hearst. So if you remain seated until that occurs, then please join us for. Refreshment, for lunch. Into your hands oh merciful Savior. we commend Gareth ---- father, grandfather, great grandfather, pastor, lover of nature. We thank you, O Lord, for acknowledging Him as a sheep of your own fold, a lamb of your own flock. A center of your own redeeming. With peace and gratitude we commend Him to the arms of Your mercy 

into the blessed rest of everlasting peace. And into the glorious company of the Saints in your life. Amen. And may the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, the fellowship of the Holy Spirit. And may His peace and His face shine on you and be with you all. Amen


thanks for listening. God bless you all. the audio can also be heard alternatively at  the following link 

Search This Blog

Grandpa K memoir (4) (audio added)

  click above to listen/view or click here to listen / view on YouTube  text version: Grandpa K's Full Memoir Combined  (not in parts...